Visit Citebite Deep link provided by Citebite
Close this shade
Source:  http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=118670
News
Classified
Web Services
Advertising
Subscribe Now!
Contact Us






BREAKING NEWS

Some troops to pull out of South

The army commander said on Friday the service intends to start drawing down its forces in the South, and will try to replace them with territorial defence volunteers.

Sonthi Boonyaratkrin, who commands the army and the ruling Council for National Security, was to attend a meeting on Friday afternoon of the Army Reserve Command on the subject, Radio Thailand reported.

Gen Sonthi said the army will reduce the number of troops on duty in the restive South, and phase in the paramilitary forces, who would be further trained to combat insurgents.

Gen Sonthi said funding for operations in the southern border provinces may be somewhat slow, but that the army currently possess sufficient funding, the radio report quoted him as saying.

He did not say why the regular army was to be reduced in the South. Earlier this week, officers said they did not have enough regular troops to respond to emergencies, such as a bomb that killed seven soliders on a patrol in Narathiwat province.








© Copyright The Post Publishing Public Co., Ltd. 2006
Privacy Policy
Comments to: Webmaster
Advertising enquiries to: Internet Marketing
Printed display ad enquiries to: Display Ads
Full contact details: Contact us